Last night for dinner I made this dish from Taste Of Home Healthy Cooking magazine, with some changes, that was very good.This pleased the whole family, YAY!!!
I must have miscalculated the amount of canned Organic Black Beans I had, which is called for in the recipe, so I ended up using canned Organic Kidney Beans instead. Hubby has been making this bean and rice wraps, that have a Boca Chick’n pattie diced up inside, that I made awhile ago and he liked them so much he’s been eating them for lunch for the past month or two and so know he’s kind of over the Kidney beans but he said the casserole with the kidney beans was still good. So either or, I think I prefer the black beans in this dish.
- 5 medium carrots, thinly sliced coin style
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups quick cooking barley
- 1/3 minced fresh parsley (luckily it’s one surviving plants in the garden! also the 1st time I made it I accidently used cilantro & it turned out just as good)
- 1tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (15oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups shredded vegan cheese
In a large bowl, combine the carrots, corn, onion, barley, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir in broth and beans. Transfer to a 13inx9inx2in baking dish coated with cooking spray.
Cover and bake at 350* for 50-55 minutes or until grains are tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.